Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Cicadas

Ok, I finally got the chance to experience the attacking cicadas first hand yesterday. I had been told by a few people that they literally fly right into you but I didn't believe it until it happened to me. There still are very few by my house, mind you. However, there are a couple suburbs that have been hit rather hard and I had the misfortune of having to walk through one of them.

I was taking the train into the great city of Chicago from Westmont where cicadas have successfully taken over the town. Walking to the train station, at least 5 cicadas ran directly into me. Due to some scheduling problems, we had to wait longer than expected for the train, all the while trying to fight off cicadas. It was treacherous. One landed on my nose. They fly around as if they're drunk; crashing directly into just about anything (buildings, cars, me) and often bouncing off and landing on the ground. As a result, there are tons of dead cicadas all over the ground. So not only are they flying around like they've had a few too many, they're also strewn about the ground, crunching as you step on them.

No comments: