Friday, June 8, 2007

McDonald's Thinks I'm Crazy

I really like McDonald's Happy Meals. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love them because they contain just the right amount of food, but more importantly, I love them for the toys. Yes, often times the toys are really lame, but every once in awhile they come out with something fabulous.

Anyway, last week some coworkers and I were contemplating a trip to McDonald's for lunch and we quickly began to discuss the current Happy Meal toys. They're an important factor when deciding whether or not to visit. If you're going to risk your life by eating some McDonald's "food", the toy better at least be good. This led to a conversation about how silly some of their toys have been and how upset I was that the Queen was left out of the Shrek toys this month. There were three baby Shreks, but no Queen. Who the heck wants three baby Shreks??

While I don't really care that much about this toy issue, I thought it would be funny to pretend that I did. As a result of reading this website too much and apparently having nothing better to do, I shot this email off to McDonald's:

Dear McDonalds,

As of late, I have been perplexed by your choice of characters for your Happy Meal Toys. I was thrilled when you offered the Wizard of Oz toys, but I was rather confused as to why the Wicked Witch of the East was part of it. Have you seen the movie? She's hardly in it except for her feet sticking out from under a house! There are a number of other characters that would have made much more sense, namely, a flying monkey! They are much more recognizable than the Wicked Witch of the East considering that no one has ever actually seen what she looks like above her knees.

Then came the Shrek toys. While they are well done, I cannot get over the fact that The Queen was left out of the lineup. She's Julie Andrews for heaven's sake! I for one, would love to have a Happy Meal toy that talks like Julie Andrews. I'm confident that she would have been the most popular toy.

One more thing, when I went into my local McDonald's today for lunch, I was greeted with a sign for the new Swamp Sludge McFlurry. It looked so amazing I had to have one, but when I went to order it I was told they didn't have the stuff to make it. What is that about?! If you're not going to have the ingredients to make a Swamp Sludge McFlurry then quit slapping me in the face with advertising for it every time I turn around. I was disappointed.


The McFlurry thing is true. I couldn't believe they didn't have the "stuff" to make it. And it gave me a reason to write the email...I was really hoping for a free McFlurry out of it. But apparently McDonald's is not as generous as I'd hoped. After about a week of waiting I finally heard back from the McDonald's people:

Hello Kim:


Thank you for contacting McDonald's to share your comments about our recent Happy Meal toys. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the theme of this Happy Meal. I hope you will accept our apology for our delay in responding to you.

You may be interested to know that our Marketing staff reviews several different criteria when designing toys -- playability, durability, safety, quality and popularity with children just to name a few. The latter is always a challenge given the number of Happy Meal toys we offer every year. We often offer toys from kids' favorite television shows, retail toy lines and movie or television characters.

Please know that we would never intentionally upset our customers. Your comments are important and have been shared with our Marketing staff for their review. They've assured me they will consider your feedback when planning future Happy Meal offers.

Once again, thank you for letting us know how you feel. We hope you'll enjoy our future Happy Meal promotions.

Elvin
McDonald's Customer Response Center


Seriously? Nothing free? I'm more than a little disappointed. Certainly they could have spared a McFlurry for my trouble. On the bright side, I'm highly amused that someone named Elvin wrote to me. I'm considering replying and beginning friendly correspondence with this Elvin. He sounds like fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the wicked witch of the EAST is in the movie. In the tornado sequence to be exact. She is the one miss Gulch transforms into, look closely and you will see she has the ruby slippers on and she is the one dorothy lands on.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.