Monday, December 10, 2007

Theater Weekend

This weekend was basically amazing.

Friday night I saw Meet Me in St. Louis on stage at Drury Lane for my company Christmas party. I was a little nervous that it would be a huge disappointment, seeing as it's one of my favorite movies, but it wasn't bad. Of course the girl that played Esther was no Judy Garland, but still, I enjoyed it.

Saturday I saw The Phantom of the Opera at the Cadillac Palace Theater. It was amazing. More amazing than I thought it would be. I'd seen the movie and I have the soundtrack, but this is the first time I saw it on stage. Way better than the movie. I also came to realize that basically everyone in this musical has severe mental problems. Except maybe Raoul. But really, the fact that he keeps hanging out with crazy Christine says something about his own mental state, I think. The Phantom is insane for obvious reasons (not that I'm not a little bit in love with him at times). Christine thinks that her father sent her an Angel of Music that she's never seen, but has taught her to sing. And she thinks this is perfectly normal. Does her deceased father have any idea how crazy he made her? They're all nuts. I actually feel a little nuts for enjoying it so much, but I can't help it. It makes for an entertaining show, and the music is great.

To top it all off, on Sunday I had the pleasure of viewing Meet Me in St. Louis on the big screen at the Tivoli. That's right, two Meet Me in St. Louises in one weekend. Doesn't get much better than that!

No comments: