Warning: I'll probably give away the ending to this movie (He's Just Not That Into You) in some way, so if you're really dying to see it then don't read this! But it turned out rather predictable and you'll probably figure out what's going to happen about 15 minutes in anyway.
Last year sometime my mother gave me the book, He's Just Not That Into You. I'm not sure what she was implying there, but I read it anyway and quite enjoyed it. Granted, much of what they talk about in the book doesn't relate to my and my squeaky-cleanness, (He's just not that into you if he's not sleeping with you?? I'm in trouble.) but it made an overall good point: if a guy likes you, he'll pursue you. I'd seen countless girlfriends obsess (I never have, of course) over whether or not a boy liked them, only to find out he just wanted to be friends, so I appreciated the bluntness of the book.
I was hoping the film would be as straightforward and honest as the book, but let's face it, that's just not the Hollywood way!
Anyway, I went to see it with some friends last weekend and it was basically a huge disappointment. Actually, the first half seemed to hold some promise. Good points were made, and sections were introduced with a line from the book (He's just not that into you if he's not calling you, and so on ...). But then, halfway through, things took a turn for the worse.
It followed a few different characters and their stories (which I did really enjoy), the main one being about unlucky-in-love Gigi, who befriends a fellow named Alex who sees what a dating mess she is and begins to give her advice, almost straight from the book. It was good advice, I thought, and it seemed to give her a much healthier dating life. But by the end of the film, just about everything he said went out the window and the movie itself reverted back to the kind of chick-flick that gives women the very same crazy ideas that the book has tried so hard to dispel. The title itself is generally misleading as pretty much every guy in the movie is into exactly who you're expecting him to be into. Except, ironically, the married man who was not into his wife. By the end it was just so confusing that we all ended up leaving the theater depressed.
Anyway, here are the top things I learned from watching He's Just Not That Into You:
- If you're with a guy who won't marry you, it's not that he's not into you, it's that he's not going to propose until you tell him you don't want to get married. That's the secret.
- If you do get your husband to marry you (against his will?) he'll cheat on you with a skanky girl from the grocery store, so don't push it!
- Women shouldn't care so much about getting married, gosh!
- There's no such thing as a good relationship without some good drama!
- If you think a guy may be acting like he likes you, you should come on to him. If he says he just wants to be friends, you should tell him that actually he wants to be more than friends, he just doesn't know it yet. Then date other guys until the first guy realizes he is into you and finally asks you out. Then live happily ever after.
- There's actually no way to know if a guy is into you, so stop trying!