Friday, May 4, 2007

Nonconformity

Why does everyone think nonconformity is so cool? What if I decide that I think conformity is cool? Wouldn't that make me a nonconformist? That's right.

I'm really sick of this attitude that we have to be different than everyone else. No one is different than everyone else. You're always conforming to something, even when you're trying to be different. You are, so just deal with it.

Even if you're going against the crowd, you're still letting them dictate what you do. The only way to truly be yourself is to do exactly what you want, with no regard for what others are doing. If what you want to do happens to be the same as what everyone else is doing, who cares?

Now I will leave you with my favorite quote by my favorite TV doctor when speaking to a job candidate who was trying to hard to be different:

Nonconformity; right... I can't remember the last time saw a twenty something kid with a tattoo of an Asian letter on his wrist. You are one wicked free thinker! You want to be a rebel; stop being cool. Wear a pocket protector like he does, and get a hair cut. Like the Asian kids that don't leave the library for a twenty hours stretch. They're the ones that don't care what you think.


End rant.

No comments: