Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sweet Home Chicago


I had a fun Chicago-filled weekend (if you count Monday as part of the weekend).

On Saturday, my friend and I went to the Chicago History Museum. I've loved Chicago history ever since I took a sociology class in high school that included a section on Chicago. At the museum, I learned about Chicago's rich history of disaster, crime, dead animals and rioting. It is a magical place. You know a city is destined for greatness when it's built on a swamp.

My second fun Chicago excursion was the Google Adwords Seminar for Success on Monday with a coworker. The seminar was great, I learned good things, and it was at the Drake Hotel. Very classy. Plus we got a free USB flash drive and a Google mug and pen. I love free stuff. This was all well and good, but by far the most exciting and terrifying part of the day was our taxi ride to and from the hotel. We took the train into the city, but the walk to the hotel was a bit much, so we opted for the taxi. Now, I've not experienced a taxi ride in any other city so I'm not sure how they compare, but a taxi ride in Chicago is not something you'll soon forget. Basically you're first filled with intense fear for your own life, followed by intense fear for the lives of any pedestrians that may get in the taxi's way. It's quite the adventure, one that everyone should experience at least once.

Seriously though, I love Chicago. I love the buildings, the lake, the street musicians, the shopping, the history and all the busyness going on all the time. A walk along the lake is so beautiful and especially fun when the weather's nice and the bikers and runners are out. As long as they don't run into me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've lived in Chicagoland for over 20 years and this was your first cab ride?!?!?!?

By the way - don't ever take a cab in NY if Chicago scares you. You'll have a coronary for sure.